Thursday, December 22, 2011

FFFreakout: Podcast #31


Jakob Olausson “When Your Bridges Burn” Morning & Sunrise LP* (De Stijl
Stare Case “Don’t Get Caught” Lose Today LP (De Stijl
The Polyps “II” Ant On The Golden Cone LP (Hello Sunshine)
Kraus “Summer Is Icumen In” Supreme Commander CS (Dungeon Taxis
Alpha Strategy “Append and Divide” Muck 12” (Ownness
Rambutan “The Chamber” Partial Wires CS (Hooker Vision)
Dain Daller “4:01” The Tirehouse Tapes Vol. 1 CS (Lighten Up Sounds)
Henry & Hazel Slaughter “Track #4” Demo CD-R (American Tapes)
Dead Reptile Shrine “Blasphemous Coven” The Sun of Circles and Wood 2LP (Weird Forest)
Burning Witch “Tower Place” Crippled Lucifer 2CD (Southern Lord)
Andre Vida “Blues Shuffler” Brud: Volumes I-III 3CD* (PAN)
The Hermetic Trio “untitled” S/T CS (Lighten Up Sounds)
Christopher Merritt “Hundred Waters” split w/ Reedbeds CS (Tranquility Tapes)
Matt Carlson “Robot Nostalgia” Particle Language LP (Draft)
Prayer “untitled” Dawn Chorus (split w/ Nathan McLaughlin) CS (Full of Nothing)



As mentioned in the previous post, I was considering putting together a sort of Best-of 2011 show for this final podcast of the year. But that was tough to justify given how much excellent new music was sitting next to the stereo that I had yet to play on the show, and I'm guessing that more than a few people out there have reached their threshold for lists and countdowns at this point. Plus, there is plenty of material on this week's show that I would stack right up there amongst the best of the year anyways. For starters, Matt Carlson's Particle Language has to be the finest synth-based record I've heard all year. Carlson had me fumbling for words earlier in the year with his Gecko Dream Levels release on Gift Tapes and on this new LP his singular approach is even more apparent. It's quite refreshing actually to hear someone who is dealing with knobs and patches that has broken free of the Kosmische influence. I'd also add that the recording and mastering of this LP is impeccable - the music just jumps off the vinyl. In terms of song-based albums, I've heard few better than Jakob Olausson's Morning & Sunrise that De Stijl put out a few weeks back. I'll have to say, you can get completely lost in this record and "When Your Bridges Burn", which I opened this week's show with, could very well be my favorite song of the year. Another song from this week's show that I can't listen to enough is "Append and Divide" from Rory Hinchey's Alpha Strategy project. I was sold on this album out of the gates with it's Graham Lambkin-designed cover art, but the music holds up too: vintage synth-pop that isn't the least bit derivative. Finally, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this new Andre Vida collection, Brud: Volumes I-III, out on PAN. There's enough ideas and sounds contained in this set to keep a person busy listening for months on end. I swear I could just play this release on shuffle mode and it would make for one hell of an interesting podcast in its own right. Hmmm . . . . something to consider.

I'd like to close by saying thanks to all of the guests that appeared on the show throughout the year and to everyone who took the time to listen and, in many cases, provide feedback. Your support and encouragement has turned what had initially began as a rather half-baked idea into something quite meaningful. Hope you all find the time to enjoy the holidays with friends and family. See you in the new year with more features and more new music. Cheers!!

     

No comments: